Internationalization (i18n) is the process of developing products in such a way that they can be localized for languages and cultures easily.
Localization (L10n), refers to the process of adapting a product, application or document content to enable their usability in a particular linguistic or cultural market (a locale)
Benefits of Internationalization
- Easier adaptation of software applications to multiple locales
- Single, internationalized code base for all locales
- Single code base means reduced time and cost of maintenance
- Improved quality and code architecture
- Reduced cost of ownership of multiple language/locale versions
Internationalization is a critical business process for any company producing multilingual products. It will not only save you cost and efforts, but can also open new unexplored markets for your products.